Translate

About Me

Winter Hill ,Horwich, UK
About Me Jake ,I am 11 years old and have Autism. This Blog is about what I can do not what I cannot,sometimes people think I cannot because I have autism ,this blog is about challenging that!I have lots of special interests, in particular running, exploring and this blog shows a small amount of what I get up to! Please be careful as some of activities I do may look easy are not , I know Winter Hill very well I can get off safely and know what to do when the weather closes in ,to keep myself safe I use high performance clothing and footwear,waterproof/ breathable/reflective/thermal layers. in layers so I keep warm and dry , I take my safety seriously and I always take care when out exploring. My dad is very experienced on the fells he is teaching me how to keep safe.I can use a map and compass, the hills can be windy , very cold, be wet , misty and boggy. STAY SAFE! check out under my link's for advice on safety from Bowland and Pennine Mountain rescue. Try my Winter Hill Challenge http://jakeofwinterhill.blogspot.com/2011/02/10-or-14-peak-courses-on-winter-hill-by.html

Sunday 6 May 2012

Cwmorthin Slate Quarry

This was Thanks to  http://www.aditnow.co.uk/profile/?uid=6117

Note from Dad,

Cwmorthin, like any disused mine or quarry, is a hazardous environment with numerous dangers including sheer drops, unstable roofs and walls, deep water and loose/slippery surfaces. It is not a show mine and is not suitable for novices or inexperienced persons unless as part of a professionally led group

http://www.cwmorthin.co.uk/how_to_visit.asp

This for us was led by someone who was very experienced !
Jake and I are very grateful for the opportunity!


I went inside the gates you have to have a code for these !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GFwTw9m0G0





I am eating my sandwiches for Lunch  deep inside the mine I think it was over half a mile under the mountain!







This is me in one the passages it is not a place to get lost in!


This water Wheel powers some original lamps I got to turn the lights on !




some old rope
These are two old steam engine boilers which powered the air drills


there are lots of things to see !





old drum for pulling the slate trucks




I am at the top of a slope , there are a lot of slopes some are too steep to get down !



people used to work by wrapping the chains round their leg and drilling with a compressed air drill !














some of the old store room items !















you can see water and air  pipes in some of the tunnels

old railway tracks and wheels from a truck
old crane
old trucks

some of  tramway tracks we saw this is a set of points







this was a slope with tracks on it to move the slate between levals , you can see the old wire rope marks on the stone !
a drum to help keep the rope off the ground
a old bridge


yes I crossed this !

there is a rope and Barry helped me keep safe across this !


the steps I counted over 120 ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment