Translate

About Me

Winter Hill ,Horwich, UK
About Me Jake ,I am 11 years old and have Autism. This Blog is about what I can do not what I cannot,sometimes people think I cannot because I have autism ,this blog is about challenging that!I have lots of special interests, in particular running, exploring and this blog shows a small amount of what I get up to! Please be careful as some of activities I do may look easy are not , I know Winter Hill very well I can get off safely and know what to do when the weather closes in ,to keep myself safe I use high performance clothing and footwear,waterproof/ breathable/reflective/thermal layers. in layers so I keep warm and dry , I take my safety seriously and I always take care when out exploring. My dad is very experienced on the fells he is teaching me how to keep safe.I can use a map and compass, the hills can be windy , very cold, be wet , misty and boggy. STAY SAFE! check out under my link's for advice on safety from Bowland and Pennine Mountain rescue. Try my Winter Hill Challenge http://jakeofwinterhill.blogspot.com/2011/02/10-or-14-peak-courses-on-winter-hill-by.html

Friday 3 December 2010

Two Lads ,Winter Hill, Horwich in the falling snow at -6


Note from Dad  :Please take advice/care  before going up on the Hills 







the last time we were out we were just testing  the equipment ,


 this time we tested the equipment, road up to this area  was clear(this is steep and single track in poor weather  - though it had patches of 2 inches of snow plus some ice, when we set back the road was completely covered in snow ,
weather was OK snow falling  -4 , medium  wind chill and snow falling ,we headed down after the weather closed in and the  snow became  heavy high  wind chill -6 c  - footprints were becoming obscured ,
If you are driving in Autumn,winter or spring  take the precaution of using cold weather tyres -they really do work !!!! I don't endorse this site but  read the advice about "winter tyres"
we got up and down to winter hill safely without a problem,
you don't want to turn up to your car tired wet and cold and unable to drive yourself out of the situation.



a video of me on the way to  Two Lads
me on top of one of the tallest  Two Lads

the last time I was up here!

http://jakeofwinterhill.blogspot.com/2010/11/winter-hill-three-peaks-at-night-two.html

a  video of the snow falling down

Evie and me in the snow
Evie in the snow and a bit grumpy 
Note from Evie : I was not !

me making a snow angel 


on the way down from Two Lads

The weather got worse as we came down -the snow was in our eyes! me writing our names in the snow!

route -we know this route in the dark and poor conditions we use map and compass and GPS tracking !

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/gb/horwich/352129140580178000

Both children had extra layers and winter grade boots -both waterproof and insulated , the slopes were covered in dry snow with fresh snow falling on top , we kept to the low incline and decent , this track does contain boulders, ridges and a quarry on one side - things which are not on the map and can cause a  injury leaving you stuck in poor weather unable to move off the hill to safety ,
http://blog.dialaphone.co.uk/2010/11/25/new-mobile-mountain-rescue-service-–-just-in-time-for-the-snow/





No comments:

Post a Comment