Translate

About Me

Winter Hill ,Horwich, UK
About Me Jake ,I am 11 years old and have Autism. This Blog is about what I can do not what I cannot,sometimes people think I cannot because I have autism ,this blog is about challenging that!I have lots of special interests, in particular running, exploring and this blog shows a small amount of what I get up to! Please be careful as some of activities I do may look easy are not , I know Winter Hill very well I can get off safely and know what to do when the weather closes in ,to keep myself safe I use high performance clothing and footwear,waterproof/ breathable/reflective/thermal layers. in layers so I keep warm and dry , I take my safety seriously and I always take care when out exploring. My dad is very experienced on the fells he is teaching me how to keep safe.I can use a map and compass, the hills can be windy , very cold, be wet , misty and boggy. STAY SAFE! check out under my link's for advice on safety from Bowland and Pennine Mountain rescue. Try my Winter Hill Challenge http://jakeofwinterhill.blogspot.com/2011/02/10-or-14-peak-courses-on-winter-hill-by.html

Friday 24 December 2010

Rivington pike , Rivington, winter Hill ,Horwich in the snow -4 to -6C

 Wilder's moor -centre two lads , left is Winter Hill Mast

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/gb/rivington/203129323512595105

good conditions - temp -4 to -6c when sun went down , good  level walk,


 Rivington Pike from georges lane
Tracks from the old mines
looking down from the wilderswood drift mine mine entrance  -look carefully tramway is clear line down the hill
old shaft capped  - vented
boundary stone - Chorley  and Horwich ?
Brown Hill with Rivington Pike on right hand side
ice river -water is moving under the ice

Note From Dad: Jake has been across this section before , the ice was enough to hold Jakes weight and being shallow was low risk - please be careful not even Walsh trainers gripped on this - Jake had been practising moving safely on ice ,  Jake is keeping to snow where possible after testing what is under the snow,
Jake is using his hands and a low centre of gravity to negotiate the tunnel below, temp in this tunnel was around - 6c  plus wind chill with very cold water , Jake has 3 layers on his lower body of water resistant/thermal and quick dry material ,  we have spares of dry clothing in case!
http://jakeofwinterhill.blogspot.com/2010/12/wilderswood-winter-hill-horwich-in-snow.html


going into the tunnel 

in the ice tunnel 

watching dad !
on my hands now !
careful ! water and ice very slippery !
thigh high snow between the tufts of heather
Brown Hill
sledging down Brown Hill
Brown Hill with Mast just appearing
Rivington drift mine buildings
Old entrance to Rivington drift  mine
bottom half of the Pike -sledging

 the pike and Winter Hill Mast -crooked hill on right
very steep slope !!!! me and the sledge , I fell out of the sledge !!
http://www.boltonmrt.org.uk/go.php?page=news#3380
Note from dad :these slopes are rated by Bolton mountain Rescue, this slope is  very steep and we moved Jake onto a more gentle slope!

down a more gentle slope

Sunset over Horwich with Fiddlers ferry power station can be seen on left  red moss in front of it ,
there is a solitary gate post in the middle of the field  ,  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlers_Ferry_Power_Station





Last look at the Pike before Christmas eve ,







if you wanted to know what it looked like at the top of the Pike !





No comments:

Post a Comment