Translate

About Me

Winter Hill ,Horwich, UK
About Me Jake ,I am 11 years old and have Autism. This Blog is about what I can do not what I cannot,sometimes people think I cannot because I have autism ,this blog is about challenging that!I have lots of special interests, in particular running, exploring and this blog shows a small amount of what I get up to! Please be careful as some of activities I do may look easy are not , I know Winter Hill very well I can get off safely and know what to do when the weather closes in ,to keep myself safe I use high performance clothing and footwear,waterproof/ breathable/reflective/thermal layers. in layers so I keep warm and dry , I take my safety seriously and I always take care when out exploring. My dad is very experienced on the fells he is teaching me how to keep safe.I can use a map and compass, the hills can be windy , very cold, be wet , misty and boggy. STAY SAFE! check out under my link's for advice on safety from Bowland and Pennine Mountain rescue. Try my Winter Hill Challenge http://jakeofwinterhill.blogspot.com/2011/02/10-or-14-peak-courses-on-winter-hill-by.html

Saturday 25 September 2010

Coniston Old Man Mine or Moss head Slate Quarry Part 1





this is the youth hostel we stayed at

the view is beautiful

this hill is very hard to run up it became steeper later on !

a old truck?

slate waste-very hard to run up -see the video below!




a iron  rope for  moving the slate  



we  followed the iron rope to locate the mine up the mountain - Coniston Old Man
iron pole for sliding and for moving the slate -can you see the rail tracks ?



machine made in Leeds

the first mine site

this is a tunnel ,this was blocked after 40 feet
on top of the first tunnel

Links :



http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/united-kingdom/null/178128558938845890
http://www.sanoodi.com/routes/coniston-old-man-mine-299778/


use the 3 D display to see the complete route in mapmyrun
1341 feet climb in total , climb to the mine has a ranking  of 1 which is the most severe climb rating without climbing , 4.21 miles total  completed in 3.5 hours, pause time in mines exploring 1.5 hours,




1 comment:

  1. Oh wow what a lovely looking hostel and the views from the window must have been stunning!!! All that slate too, I think I would have taken longer than you to do that climb hehe!

    ReplyDelete